Since these things get repeated day after day from messages I get.
Let me just put it here.
1) If you want to get into Sadhana proper, start with Ganesha Ashtottara daily.
With Sankalpa to get guidance. If you are sincere , you will get it.
Getting guidance and deserving that guidance is 2 different things. A Devata can bless you with many things, but you being deserving of it and having the ability to retain Devata blessings is something different altogether.
I can tell you i have wasted about 95% of Devata blessings all through out my youth on complete nonsense.
Learn from the mistakes of others.
As an aside, many devatas can do the same thing, like help with Vignas, but with different approaches. For example, Ganesha can clear obstacles making the path easier and smoother,
Bhairava also can help with Vignas but by making you stronger and more resillient, making the journey seem easier.
2) If approaching someone for guidance , leave whatever you have thought or read or heard from other people out the door. Else seek them instead.
Spiritual Promiscuity is worse than Sexual Promiscuity. Also circle is small, and i invariably know the people whose advice you did not take and come to me. You are of no worth to me compared to them who have aided my sadhana journey, stood for me, etc. Jumping from one guide to another til you land on one who justifies your mistakes is stupid.
3) The 1st part of Sadhana discipline is to do what is required daily, regardless of motivation, desire, engagements.
The 2nd even more important part of Sadhana discipline is to NOT do more than what has been advised, ( i.e chasing after the new shiny object , new devata etc )
4) What you feel and what you think about Sadhana, as a newbie is worthless. Our minds and hearts are not crystal clear and pure.
Until years of Sadhana is done to acquire the required shuddhi, follow what the texts advice, or those who have walked the path before you say.
5) ” I took this mantra from Google and been chanting for years. I feel good, no backfire.” ( See point 4 ) Someone can smoke for years , drink for years and show no signs of ill effects.
Also some people have so little self refection of themselves that they dont even know the trouble something is causing in a certain aspect of their life. Like effects on their children.
Do you know many mantras affect different chakras?
Ganesha Sadhana is notorious for bringing out lethargy, inertia , seated in Muladhara. Balambika brings out sexual desires seated in Swadishtana. Do you know the remedies from Asanas to Mudras to Nyasas to deal with them?
Some Devis affect your bone marrow, some others your nerves, some your brain even. One of my mentors mentioned how once this lady took a Chinamasta mantra online and chanted for 2 hours and had a seizure.
If you get initiated in a proper Sampradaya , the Guru Mandala protects you. Even getting upadesha from someone experienced, they will guide you in the things to avoid.
6) Someone agreeing to guide you, doesnt make them Alexa or Chat GPT. Give before taking. Try to have balance in any relationship. Also , im not your emotional cushion. Whine somewhere else.
7) Dont do a dozen different mantras. Get guidance and focus on 1 Devata for a couple of years Mantra Wise. There is so much to learn from just that 1 Devata. Nyasa ,
Hrudayam , Sahasranama, Kavacha , Shapa Vimochana , Utkilana. Their Tithis , their texts,
their likes, what their actual domain is, their Yatras etc.
You can do a stotra or 2 of other Devatas that is fine. 80% main Sadhana , 20% Stotras of other devatas. 1 Kavacha as your main not more. Example , if you are doing Ganesha Sadhana, try and do his Kavacha. Bhairava Sadhana , his Kavacha. They ( mantra and kavacha ) complement each other.
If you have some Shani issue and want to do a Hanuman Stotra or Financial issue and do Kanakadhara Stotra , that is fine.
Lastly, Gratefulness, offering help in return etc all are good traits to have and go a long way. Read the original texts, Teachers used to test students for years in the past before giving knowledge.
You cant stick to something for 6 months , means you have behavioral problems, if you need therapy go for it. fix them before coming to Sadhana.